Irreverently named This Bread is Bananas, this incredibly moist whole-banana bread recipe from Cook More, Waste Less (the zero-waste cookbook from Christine Tizzard) uses all of the banana, peel and all. Using the peels adds more flavour – and less waste. Optional add-ins, like dark chocolate chips and nuts, make for an even more delicious version.
This Bread Is Bananas
- 2 overripe bruised bananas peels and all
- ½ cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- ½–1 cup cup chocolate or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped nuts and/or seeds
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line or grease a loaf pan. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Peel the bananas and roughly chop the peels. Simmer the peels in boiling water for 5 minutes and then drain, rinse under cold water, and set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix the butter and sugar together until incorporated, light, and fluffy.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the flour with the baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Using a blender or food processor, blend the bananas, peels, eggs, buttermilk, and vanilla.
- Slowly beat the banana mixture into the butter mixture until incorporated. Beat in the flour mixture until combined. Stir in any optional add-ins and evenly spread with the crumble if using.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.