The Vesper, traditionally made of gin, vodka and Lillet Blanc, is a perfect in-between cocktail with big potential. That’s why it was the perfect starting point for this cocktail. Lauren Mote’s spin here is the celery, a revelation in any form in both cooking and drinks – you just have to be bold enough to use it.
Celery Vesper Martini
- 1½ oz gin
- ½ oz aquavit
- ¾ oz Lillet aromatized wine
- 1 dash preserved lemon brine
- 1 dash celery bitters like Bittered Sling Cascade Celery
- 1 dash orange bitters like Bittered Sling Orange & Juniper
- celery ribbon
- strip lemon peel
- Fill a mixing glass with ice; add gin, aquavit, aromatized wine, lemon brine, celery bitters and orange bitters. Using a bar spoon or long spoon, stir for 15 to 20 rotations.
- Using julep strainer or small fine-mesh sieve, strain liquid into a Nick & Nora glass or coupette.
- To garnish, curl celery ribbon and drop into glass. Twist lemon peel directly over cocktail to release natural oil; discard peel.