Ground almonds sub in for bread crumbs in this easy keto appetizer from nutritionist Professor Jürgen Vormann’s new book The Keto Cure.
Keto Crispy Zucchini With Herb Aioli
- 1 1/2 tsp milk 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 20 g Parmesan finely grated
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 large zucchini sliced into 8mm thick discs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Add the milk, olive oil and egg yolk to a blender. Slowly blend in pulses until the mixture has thickened to form a kind of mayonnaise.
- Add the garlic and herbs to the mayonnaise and mix again. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg in a deep bowl. Mix the Parmesan with the ground almonds, paprika, thyme and a pinch of salt in a second bowl. First dip the zucchini slices in the egg, then coat both sides with the almond mixture.
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Fry the coated zucchini slices in the hot oil on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and let drain on kitchen paper before arranging on two plates. Serve with herb aioli.