Ground almonds sub in for bread crumbs in this easy keto appetizer from nutritionist Professor Jürgen Vormann’s new book The Keto Cure.
Keto Crispy Zucchini With Herb Aioli
- 1 1/2 tsp milk 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 medium egg yolk
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dried Italian herbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 medium egg
- 20 g Parmesan finely grated
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1 tsp mild paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 large zucchini sliced into 8mm thick discs
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Peel and roughly chop the garlic. Add the milk, olive oil and egg yolk to a blender. Slowly blend in pulses until the mixture has thickened to form a kind of mayonnaise.
- Add the garlic and herbs to the mayonnaise and mix again. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Whisk the egg in a deep bowl. Mix the Parmesan with the ground almonds, paprika, thyme and a pinch of salt in a second bowl. First dip the zucchini slices in the egg, then coat both sides with the almond mixture.
- Add the oil to a non-stick pan over medium heat. Fry the coated zucchini slices in the hot oil on each side for 2 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove and let drain on kitchen paper before arranging on two plates. Serve with herb aioli.
If you prefer to avoid raw eggs, there's a simple alternative: If all the ingredients are blended with an immersion blender, they'll thicken and combine even without the raw egg yolk. Insert the blender into the vessel and only switch it on when it's immersed, then slowly raise and lower it. However, the mixture will only keep its consistency for a few minutes. So, it you choose the egg-free version, it's best to make the aioli right before serving.