Muffins with all the satisfying goodness of an apple crumble. Try Gala or Golden Delicious apples for the best flavour.
Easy Apple Crumble Muffins
These heart-healthy muffins are packed with fibre, fruit and whole grains.
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- salt, pinch of
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup rolled oats
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup wheat germ
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 apples, chopped (about 2 small apples cut into ½-inch pieces. Use Gala or Golden Delicious for the best flavour
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper liners.
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, flour, oats and salt. Work in butter with fingertips until mixture is crumbly. Set aside.
- Muffins: In a large bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, wheat germ, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt until evenly combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together yogurt, oil, egg and vanilla. Stir into flour mixture, just until combined. Fold in apples. Divide among muffin cups. Sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until golden brown and a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes; turn out onto rack. Let cool completely.