Inspired by the small but mighty Montenegro, where cooking is all about extracting maximum flavour from fresh local produce, this dark and delicious soup uses mushrooms in two exciting ways. –Jamie Oliver
Jamie Oliver's Simple Mushroom Soup
- 4 cloves garlic
- 10 oz frozen or fresh chopped mixed onion, carrot and celery
- 1½ lbs chestnut or cremini mushrooms
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Peel and finely slice the garlic, then place it in a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat with 2 tbsp of olive oil and the mixed veg. Fry for a few minutes while you slice 1 lb of the mushrooms, then add them to the pan with a good pinch of black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, or until golden, then pour in the stock and cook for a further 10 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the remaining ½ lb of mushrooms (slice them so you have some beautiful cross-sections, throwing any trimmings into the soup as you go), place on a baking sheet with a drizzle of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and pepper, and roast for 15 minutes, or until beautifully golden and crisp.
- When the time’s up, blitz the soup to your desired consistency, then season to perfection. Divide between warm soup bowls, ripple 1 tbsp of sour cream into each, and top with the crispy mushrooms and a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, if you like.