Television chef and acclaimed cookbook author Lidia Bastianich used to serve this salad at her midtown NYC restaurant Felidia, and it was always a bestseller. “The soft texture of the avocado and the crunchy nuts create a playful medley in your mouth,” she writes. Make sure to massage the kale beforehand to tenderize it.
Kale, Avocado and Pistachio Salad
- 2 large eggs hard-boiled
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove crushed and peeled
- kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bunch curly kale leaves stripped from the stems, washed, spun dry and cut into thin ribbons
- 2 ripe avocados peeled, sliced
- ½ cup pistachios toasted, coarsely chopped
- Halve the eggs. Coarsely chop the whites and set them aside. Put the yolks in a mini–food processor, and add the vinegar, mustard, garlic and ½ teaspoon salt. Pulse to make a paste. With the processor running, add the olive oil in a slow, steady stream to make a smooth, thick dressing.
- Put the kale in a large serving bowl. Drizzle it with a couple tablespoons of the dressing, season with ½ teaspoon salt, and massage with your hands for a minute or so, to wilt the leaves slightly. Let the kale rest for 15 minutes.
- Add the egg whites, avocados and pistachios. Toss well and serve.