The best thing about roasting a turkey is that we’re almost guaranteed leftovers. However after day 2, those turkey dinner flavours need a refresh. Enter our new take on a Leftover Turkey Sandwich. Crispy lettuce, fresh avocado and tangy cranberry sauce make for a fresh and bright twist on your leftover turkey. Add some slabs of leftover bacon (because you know you have that too) and your turkey sandwich finally gets the makeover it deserves. This recipes serves 2, because making someone a sandwich is a love language. Still have leftover turkey? Make our Easy Turkey Soup With Herbs, or Natasha Kravchuk’s Turkey Meatball Soup.
Leftover Turkey Sandwich
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 ½ cups shredded turkey mix of white and dark meat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 slices leftover bacon
- 4 slices sandwich bread preferably seeded or rye
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup leftover cranberry sauce
- 4 crisp lettuce leaves
- 1 avocado sliced
- In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat until foamy. Add the shredded turkey breast and cook until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Push turkey to the side of the skillet and add bacon to pan. Heat until warmed through. Reserve.
- Lightly toast the bread and divide between 2 plates. Spread 1 tablespoon mayonnaise onto the interior side of each piece of bread. Lay fresh lettuce over each piece of bread.
- Divide avocado slices between two pieces of bread, these will be your ‘bottoms’. Top with divided warmed turkey, then bacon.
- Spoon cranberry sauce over bacon, then top with the assembled tops. Slice on a diagonal (always) and enjoy!