Restauranter Mandy Wolfe refers to the Mini Egg Bites in her new More Mandy’s cookbook as ‘brekkie bombs’. And with the help of a muffin tin, it’s easy to make your own arsenal of these savoury, low-carb breakfast snacks. Wolfe’s recipe includes a classic combination of mushrooms, heavy cream and shredded cheese, but feel free to add or subtract ingredients (other than the eggs, of course). “The fun thing about these is that you can customize them to your liking – keeping them veggie and mixing them up with different vegetables, or adding meat if you like,” Wolfe writes. “And they’re great even if you’re dairy-free – [just] omit the cream and cheese and they’ll be a little less fluffy but still taste delicious!”
These ‘brekkie bombs’ can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to five days. Meal preppers, get your muffin tins ready.
Mandy's Mini Vegetarian Egg Bites
- 12-cup muffin tray
- ½ cup white onion diced
- 1 cup button mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 12 eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ cup cheddar shredded
- ⅓ cup sun-dried tomatoes chopped
- 1 tsp fresh basil slivered
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the onion and mushrooms in a non-stick frying pan with the olive oil and cook over medium heat until soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Crack the eggs into a large bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add the cream, cheddar, sun-dried tomatoes, basil, and the onion and mushroom mixture, and mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spray your chosen muffin tray with oil, then fill each cavity about three-quarters full with the egg mixture. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes for a mini muffin tray, and 15 minutes for a regular muffin tray. Keep an eye on these and do not overcook; they are ready when the eggs start to pull away from the sides of the molds and the tops look golden brown and caramelized.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Make-aheadRefrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days. To reheat, simply pop in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds.