This margarita-esque cocktail is inspired by Lauren Mote’s Toronto childhood memories: seeking comic books, movies and ice cream floats up and down Yonge Street. The tequila represents her mom’s drink of choice, while the blue curaçao is a reference to the blue of her favourite teams: the Blue Jays and the Maple Leafs. The juice signifies shared moments over breakfast, the orgeat symbolizes her mother’s almond-forward vegetarian lifestyle and the bitters provide the nostalgic flavour of root beer, which takes her right back to those special moments of youth.
- 1 oz blanco tequila
- ½ oz blue curaçao liqueur
- ¾ oz orgeat see tip or store-bought orgeat syrup
- ¾ oz lime juice
- ¾ oz pineapple juice
- 2 dashes aromatic bitters like Bittered Sling Plum & Rootbeer
- 1 thin slice dehydrated pineapple or fresh pineapple
- pineapple leaves
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice; add tequila, curaçao, orgeat, lime juice, pineapple juice and bitters. Using some force, shake hard for 5 seconds. Using small fine-mesh strainer, strain into highball glass.
- Garnish with pineapple slice and leaves.