Asparagus stalks are in season and this creamy plant-based pasta is the perfect way to celebrate. The creaminess in the sauce comes from Logan Petit Lot’s Cashew Lemony Umami Butter. Cashews, lemon, olive oil and nutritional yeast are the basis of a full-flavoured sauce that skips the dairy. Use asparagus when it’s in season, or other green veggies (broccoli, zucchini, Brussels sprouts, etc.) the rest of the year.
Creamy Vegan Asparagus Pasta
- ¼ cup 70 g. of Logan Petit Lot's Nut Chee*se
- 1 small garlic clove chopped
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small lemons
- 1 bunch asparagus 600 g./15 large asparagus spears
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 big handful baby arugula
- 400 g. long pasta linguine, fettuccine or spaghetti
- Nutritional yeast and chili flakes Optional; for serving
- Add Logan Petit Lot's Nut Chee*se, garlic, and two tablespoons of olive oil to a blender. Grate the lemon to get one teaspoon of zest and squeeze to get two tablespoons of juice. Add to the blender, reserving the extra lemon. Pulse to combine and set aside.
- Snap the tough ends of the asparagus spears. If they are large, slice each spear in half lengthwise if needed, then cut diagonally into one-inch pieces.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the asparagus to the pan and season generously with salt and pepper. Let them sear for a few minutes until lightly browned but still crisp. Add the baby arugula along with a squeeze of lemon juice and remove from the heat.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until al dente.
- Just before draining the pasta, scoop out about 1 ¼ cups of pasta water. Add ¾ cup of pasta water to the blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Once drained, return pasta to the pot, then stir in the creamy sauce. Toss and add a bit more pasta water to thin out as needed. The sauce will thicken quickly as it cools, so it’s best to lean towards a thinner consistency at this point.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed by adding more salt and/or more lemon juice.
- Add about half of the asparagus and arugula mixture to the pasta and toss well.
- Divide pasta among bowls, then top with the remaining asparagus. Season generously with black pepper, then garnish with lemon zest and a sprinkle of nutritional yeast and chili flakes, if using. Serve immediately.