I’m not a dessert person, generally speaking, but I’m crazy for apple tart. Flaky pastry and cooked apples…what’s not to like? This is my favourite dessert. –Jean-Philippe Cyr
Flaky Vegan Apple Tart
Jean-Philippe Cyr's favourite dessert is this vegan tart starring flaky pastry and soft apples.
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 5 apples cored, peeled and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease a baking sheet with oil.
- Place 1 sheet of phyllo pastry on the prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush with oil all over. Top with a second sheet, brush with oil and repeat until all the phyllo is layered and brushed.
- Fan out the apple slices over the pastry, leaving a 2-inch (5 cm) border all around. Sprinkle the apples with sugar and cinnamon. Fold the pastry border in toward the apples and brush the border with oil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the pastry is golden and the apples are tender. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.