Crisp, crunchy cucumbers are perfect here cozied up to salty halloumi, tender onions and an aromatic dressing.
Grilled Cucumbers and Halloumi
- 6 small wooden skewers, soaked in water
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 1½ tsp liquid honey
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp mint chopped
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 1 small jalapeno thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 6 spring onions
- 3 small cucumbers each about 15 cm. (6 in.) long
- 350 g package halloumi patted dry
- In skillet over medium heat, toast coriander seeds until fragrant and toasted, about 4 minutes. Let cool, then coarsely crush with a mortar and pestle.
- In small bowl, stir together lemon juice and honey; add coriander seeds, olive oil, mint, cilantro and jalapeno. Add salt and pepper, tasting before adding more.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Cut white and light green parts of onions into equal lengths and discard green parts. Halve cucumbers lengthwise and then crosswise to make four equal chunks. Cut halloumi into 12 equal-size pieces.
- Thread one skewer with cucumber, onion and cheese and repeat, alternating pieces. Repeat with remaining skewers and ingredients. Grill until vegetables are lightly charred and cheese is golden, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer to plate; spoon sauce over and serve warm.
Tip: Don’t have a mortar and pestle? Place the coriander seeds on a cutting board, press the bottom of a small skillet or pot on top and use your weight to crush them.