When Jamie Oliver says one of his recipes is easy, he means it. This impressive-looking apple tart can be thrown together in less than an hour (as long as you have some puff pastry already thawed) and is the perfect dessert for serving last-minute dinner guests. When describing how easy it is to make, Oliver says: “Inspired by the classic French tartlets you can find in patisseries, I’m using store-bought pastry for convenience. Topped with vanilla ice cream, this is a lovely little number to have up your sleeve.” We couldn’t agree more.
Jamie Oliver's Easy Apple Tart
- 1 sheet puff pastry about 11 oz (cold)
- 7 oz apricot jam
- 4 apples
- 1 tbsp sliced almonds
- vanilla ice cream to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Unroll puff pastry and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Score a ½-inch border around the edge (don’t cut all the way through).
- Heat jam in a pan over a low heat for 30 seconds, just to loosen, stirring occasionally. Finely slice the apples into rounds, discarding any seeds (use a mandoline, with a guard, if you have one).
- Toss the apple with the apricot jam and arrange nicely, in layers, inside the border, hiding any smaller tattier bits of apple underneath. Cook on bottom rack of oven for 30 minutes, or until beautifully golden and cooked through, scattering over almonds for the last 5 minutes.
- Slice up and serve topped with balls of vanilla ice cream.