Smoked Mezcal Paloma Cocktail Recipe
This refreshing cocktail has complex flavours: smoky, sweet and tangy, with a hint of bitterness.
- 3 tbsp coarse pink salt
- 60 ml Mezcal
- 50 ml pink grapefruit juice freshly-squeezed
- 30 ml lime juice freshly-squeezed
- 30 ml simple syrup see tip
- 1 tbsp Aperol
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- Place the salt on a small plate. Rub the rim of the glass with grapefruit juice. Dip the rim of the glasses into the salt and gently press the glass to cover it with a rim of salt.
- Pour the mezcal, grapefruit juice, lime juice, sugar syrup and Aperol into a cocktail shaker. Fill the rest of the shaker with ice, put the lid on and shake vigorously until the outside of the shaker is icy, about 20 seconds.
- Pour the cocktail through a strainer or slotted spoon into a chilled glass. Light the sprig of rosemary and then immediately extinguish. Add it while still smoking in the glass.
Make a simple sugar syrup by bringing equal parts sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan. Cook for 2 minutes, until all the sugar has dissolved, then let cool completely. Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.