Vegan Lentil Soup With Smoked Tofu
Smoked tofu transforms plain-jane lentil soup into smoky deliciousness.
- 1 red onion
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 carrots cut in rounds
- 2 l vegetable broth
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 cup green lentils rinsed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup red lentils rinsed
- 200 gr smoked tofu cut in cubes
- Smoked tofu is an extra-firm tofu often smoked in tea leaves – which gives it its light smoky flavour and a pale bronzy hue.
- Cut onion in half. Finely chop half, and cut other half into rings.
- In a large pot, heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil over medium heat. Add chopped onion and garam masala and cook, stirring for 2 minutes. Add carrot and onion slices, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, adding some of the vegetable broth if browning too quickly.
- Stir in the remaining broth, oregano, thyme, bay leaf, green lentils, salt and pepper. Cook covered for 30 minutes, adding red lentils after 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Pat dry the tofu and add to the pan; cook flipping until browned. Stir into soup once lentils are tender.