This salad is a celebration of the lightness of a wintertime coleslaw, and it contains citrus to spread sunshine when the skies are grey. It’s a great side to a pork roast, a Reuben sandwich, mac ’n’ cheese or even paired with sloppy joes.
Winter Slaw With Orange-Yogourt Dressing
- ½ cup Greek yogourt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- 1-2 tbsp orange juice
- pinch each salt and pepper
- 1 tsp pink peppercorns crushed
- 1 red or green cabbage shredded
- broccoli thinly sliced
- carrots shredded or thinly sliced
- celery thinly sliced on an angle
- fennel thinly sliced
- sugar snap peas thinly sliced
- 1 scallion sliced
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 1 Fuyu persimmon cubed
- citrus segments
- sesame seeds sunflower seeds or chopped nuts, for garnish
- In bowl, whisk together yogourt, honey and vinegar. Whisk in orange juice, 1 tbsp at a time, until thin enough to drizzle. Season with salt and pepper. Whisk in pink peppercorns. Store in airtight jar in fridge for up to 3 days.
- A good hour before you want to serve your slaw, place about 6 cups of desired slaw ingredients in a large bowl and toss to combine. Let dressing come to room temperature and give it a good shake. Pour desired amount over slaw and toss. Cover and let sit in fridge for 1 hour to let flavours meld.
- To serve, add any optional toppings and gently toss. Garnish with seeds or nuts.
Recipe excerpted from The Lemon Apron Cookbook: Seasonal Recipes for the Curious Home Cook by Jennifer Emilson, adapted for ELLE Gourmet. Copyright © 2022 Jennifer Emilson. Cover and interior design by Lisa Jager. Cover and interior photography by Johann Headley. Published by Appetite by Random House, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the publisher. All rights reserved.