Vegan cookbook author Hannah Sunderani has mastered the art of making vegan cheese, which she demonstrates with her decadent recipe for Luxurious Baked Brie. Want to know more about vegan cheese? Hannah Sunderani shares her expertise about vegan cheese.
Creamy Vegan Baked Brie
- 1 7½ x 2-inch round brie baking dish
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 cloves garlic divided 1½ cups water
- ¼ cup tapioca powder
- 2 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp + 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ tbsp teapsoons fine sea salt 1 teaspoon white miso
- 1 tsp white miso
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- Place the cashews in a small bowl and add boiling water to cover. Soak for 1 hour, then drain. (Alternatively, soak the cashews in room-temperature water to cover for at least 6 hours or overnight, then drain.)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Chop 3 cloves of the garlic and add to a high-speed blender along with the cashews, water, tapioca powder, tahini, nutritional yeast, apple cider vinegar, salt, and miso. Blend on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the cheese mixture into a 7½ x 2-inch round brie baking dish. Thinly slice the remaining 3 garlic cloves and arrange them on top of the cheese. Sprinkle with the thyme. Bake, uncovered, until the cheese has formed a skin on the top and is lightly brown around the edges, 25 minutes.