Picture a space like a luxe, sultry hotel lobby bar inspired by Wes Anderson movies. Now factor in a dazzlingly contemporary cocktail list full of variations on the classics and braided with subtle Caribbean nuances, courtesy of co-owner Christina Veira’s Jamaican background. No wonder every night at Bar Mordecai turns into a party. If you come with an appetite, chef María Arispe’s small plates, which reference Spain and Argentina, are served tapas-style, so you can graze without interrupting the drinking and conversation. A cool patio is ready for summer while downstairs private karaoke rooms have their own flamboyant themes (’70s Vegas wedding chapel, ’60s Elvis) and their own lists of decadent punches and cocktails in cans. Other unique drinks, like the glittering Pisces freezer cocktail in a bag, are available to go.
1272 Dundas Street West, Toronto
(416) 537-4343 barmordecai.com
Bar Mordecai’s Daybreak in Trelawny
Bar Mordecai's Daybreak in Trelawny
- 1 pkg Jamaican Tea Chocolate 3 balls & 1 cinnamon stick
- 30 g mauby bark
- 30 g sarsaparilla bark
- 1 kg demerara sugar
- 1 kg water
- 2 oz Pike Creek Double Barreled Canadian Whisky
- 1 oz blood orange
- 0.75 oz Cafe Maderas cold brew
- 0.5 oz Cacao syrup
- 0.25 oz honey syrup 3:1
- 0.25 oz Evangelista Punch Abruzzo
- 1 blood orange wheel
- Combine all elements of syrup. Bring just to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously over cold draft or similar ice for 10 seconds.
- Strain into crushed-iced filled tulip glass (or snifter)
- Garnish with blood orange wheels.