Fresh Kitchen + Juice Bar, the Ontario line of plant-based restaurants, serves this stunning and filling meal salad at all of their locations (including the newly-opened Oakville eatery). The ‘Noodlerama’ is a blend of soba noodles, greens and nuts, drizzled with an omega-rich 3.6.9 Oil dressing and served with grilled tofu steaks.
“This recipe celebrates the plant world in all its forms: leaves, sprouts, beans, nuts, seeds, herbs and fruits,” says executive chef and co-owner Jennifer Houston, who shared the recipe with us. “Our versatile sweet-and-savoury 369 Dressing brings it all together, and the soba noodles make it satisfying enough to be a meal on its own.”
Fresh Kitchen + Juice Bar's Noodlerama Salad
- 1 tsp sunflower oil
- 2 cups onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup 3.6.9 Oil
- 3 tbsp tamari
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp veggie stock or water
Grilled Tofu Steaks
- ½ 350g block extra firm tofu
- ¼ cup tamari
- 1 cups water
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups cooked soba noodles
- 4 to 6 cups lettuce blend of your choice
- 1 cup assorted microgreens
- ¼ cup shelled edamame
- 2 tbsp sun-dried tomatoes thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp chopped peanuts
- ¼ cup roasted cashews
- ¼ cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp mint leaves chopped
- 6 Grilled Tofu Steaks
- 369 Dressing
- 2 lemon wedges
- Heat sunflower oil in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic, cook until softened and starting to brown. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Put all remaining ingredients in a blender. Add the cooked onions and garlic and blend until very smooth.
- Makes 2 cups. Transfer leftover dressing to an airtight container and refrigerate for 5 to 7 days.
Grilled Tofu Steaks
- Combine tamari, water, coriander and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Cut block of tofu in half lengthwise, cut each half into four slices, and then cut those slices on the diagonal to form triangular steaks. Add steaks to marinade and set aside in the fridge for at least an hour.
- To cook, place on hot grill for a couple of minutes per side until grill marks form.
- Divide soba noodles between two large shallow bowls and drizzle with a little 369 Dressing.
- Top noodles with lettuce, microgreens, edamame, sun-dried tomatoes, peanuts and cashews.
- Scatter cilantro and mint over top.
- Place tofu steaks on one side of bowl and lemon wedge on the other side.
- Serve with 369 Dressing in a small bowl or ramekin on the side.