Is eggplant keto? The fruit (yes, eggplant is technically a berry!) is low in carbs and makes an Italian-friendly bread or meat substitute in popular dishes like parmigiana and lasagna. So, why not use it in pizza? Professor Jürgen Vormann’s mini eggplant pizzas are stacked with cheese, herbs and Italian flavours in this easy and yummy recipe from The Keto Cure.
Keto Mini Eggplant Pizzas
- 1 eggplant cut into twelve 1½ cm thick slices
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1⁄3 cup chopped tomatoes tinned
- 41⁄2 oz ball mozzarella drained and sliced into 12 pieces
- 11⁄2 oz goat cheese
- 12 basil leaves
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Brush the eggplant slices on each side with the olive oil, lay them on the baking tray and season on both sides with a bit of salt. Transfer to the centre of the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the oregano to the tomatoes and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove the baked eggplant slices from the oven and spread the tomatoes evenly on top. Add a piece of mozzarella to each one and crumble over the goat's cheese. Continue baking for another 10 minutes.
- Remove the "pizzas" from the oven and garnish each with a basil leaf to serve.