Clafoutis is a French dessert consisting of fruit – often cherries, raspberries or plums – baked in a thick batter. This recipe is inspired by the late Edmonton chef Gail Hall, who taught it to students at her cooking school in the city. Pick up the fresh ingredients at a farmer’s market and whip up a clafoutis à la prairie.
Prairie: Seasonal, Farm-Fresh Recipes Celebrating the Canadian Prairies is on sale August 29.
- 2½ cups fresh raspberries
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar divided
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp amaretto liqueur
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and butter a 10-inch pie plate.
- Distribute the raspberries in the prepared pie plate and sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the sugar.
- In a small bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, amaretto and butter. Add the flour, another 2 tbsp of sugar, baking powder, and salt and beat to a smooth batter. Pour over the raspberries and bake until golden brown and set in the middle, about 30 minutes. The batter will puff slightly.
- While the batter is baking, prepare the whipped cream. If using a stand mixer or hand mixer, pour the cream into a large bowl, add the icing sugar and vanilla, and whisk on medium-high speed for about 4 minutes, until medium firm peaks are formed. If using an immersion blender, pour the cream, sugar and vanilla into a 4-cup jar and blend for the same time, until medium peaks are formed. Cover the container with plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- When the clafoutis has finished baking, remove it from the oven and sprinkle it with the cinnamon and the remaining 1 tbsp sugar. Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve with the whipped cream.
Excerpted from Prairie by Dan Clapson and Twyla Campbell. Copyright © 2023 Dan Clapson and Twyla Campbell. Photographs by Dong Kim. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.