In case we didn’t love waffles enough, Jeanine Donofrio of the famous Love & Lemons blog and cookbooks brings us her latest version, savoury Spiced Chickpea waffles, and we can’t get enough. In her new book, Simple Feel Good Food, Donofrio focuses on clean and delicious recipes that lean on plant-based protein. This waffle batter uses chickpea flour, garlic, cumin, coriander and scallions and brings to mind a breakfast falafel. Scatter with pickled onions, fresh tomatoes, cucumber and some tahini to finish.
Spiced Chickpea Waffles
- 2½ cups chickpea flour spooned and leveled
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1½ cups water
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- 4 scallions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- tahini yogurt or tahini sauce
- pickled onions
- diced cucumber
- diced tomato
- fresh mint or cilantro leaves
- Preheat a waffle iron and prepare your desired toppings.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, baking powder, coriander, cumin, salt, cayenne (if using) and several grinds of pepper. Add the water, olive oil, cilantro, scallions and garlic and stir until combined.
- Scoop ½ cup of batter for each waffle into a large Belgian waffle maker, or scoop an appropriate amount for your waffle maker.
- Cook for 4 to 9 minutes, or until golden brown and lightly crisp. The timing will depend on your waffle iron. I like to cook these savoury waffles longer than sweet waffles to get them crisper.
- Serve with desired toppings.