Jenny Tschiesche and Liz Franklin are masters of making the life of the home cook easier with their recipes for easy meals with even easier clean-up, like these satisfying meatballs and peppers from their cookbook Sheet Pan Dinners: Over 150 All-In-One Dishes, Including Meat, Fish, Vegetarian and Vegan Recipes.
Mediterranean Beef and Chorizo Meatballs
- 1 medium red bell pepper deseeded and cut into ½ inch (1cm) strips
- 1 medium orange bell pepper deseeded and cut into ½ inch (1cm) strips
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 oz passata/strained tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried marjoram or oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato purée/paste
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ½ tsp honey
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) chorizo
- 400 g (14 oz) minced/ground beef
- Preheat the oven to 200 ̊C (400 ̊F) Gas 6.
- Put the bell peppers on a sheet pan with high sides, sprinkle over the salt and drizzle over the olive oil. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the onion, garlic, passata/strained tomatoes, marjoram/oregano, tomato purée/paste, garlic salt and honey in a bowl and stir together to make a sauce.
- To make the meatballs, finely chop the chorizo or use a food processor to grind it to a paste and mix it together with the minced/ground beef. Roll the minced meat mix into 12 evenly-sized meatballs.
- After 15 minutes of cooking the (bell) peppers, add the sauce and the meatballs to the sheet pan. Cover with foil and bake for a further 25–30 minutes until the meatballs are just cooked and still moist. Serve.