We all love the convenience of sheet-pan recipes. Well, we call this Firecracker Tofu With Broccolini & Chili Garlic Oil recipe in Bri Beaudoin’s new cookbook Evergreen Kitchen a “two sheet-pan recipe”.
Beaudoin, creator of the popular vegetarian blog Evergreen Kitchen, has been captivating her followers with her delicious (and easy to make) veggie-forward dishes, or, as she writes in her Instagram bio: “Vegetarian food you actually want to eat.” We concur! And with her new cookbook, now you can make it too.
Firecracker Tofu With Broccolini and Chili Garlic Oil
- 16 oz/454g extra-firm tofu patted dry and cut into ½-inch (1cm) cubes
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 7 tbsp grapeseed oil divided
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 6 garlic cloves finely grated
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 to 2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1½ tsp fine sea salt divided
- 2 bunches (1 lb / 454g total) broccolini trimmed
- 2 scallions thinly sliced, for garnish
- flaky sea salt for garnish
- cooked jasmine rice for serving
- lime wedges
- Preheat the oven: Place the oven racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven and preheat to 425°F (220°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Bake the tofu: Scatter the tofu on one of the prepared baking sheets. Drizzle the tamari over the tofu, and using your fingers, toss until most of the tamari is absorbed. Drizzle 1 tablespoon of the grapeseed oil over the tofu and toss to coat. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the tofu and toss to coat. Spread the tofu in an even layer, then bake on the lower rack for 15 minutes, until the tofu is light golden but not yet crispy.
- Mix the chili garlic oil: In a small oven-safe glass container, combine 5 tablespoons of the grapeseed oil, garlic, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt.
- Flip the tofu and heat the oil: Once the tofu has baked for 15 minutes, flip the cubes. Place the container of chili garlic oil onto the same baking sheet and bake on the lower rack until the tofu is golden brown and crispy around the edges and the oil is lightly bubbling, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bake the broccolini: Scatter the broccolini on the second baking sheet. Drizzle the remaining 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil over the broccolini and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Bake on the upper rack until the broccolini is bright green and tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Assemble: Drizzle 2 tablespoons of the chili garlic oil over the tofu (careful, the bowl is hot!). Using a flexible spatula, toss the tofu until evenly coated in the oil. Combine the coated tofu and broccolini on a serving platter. Garnish with scallions and flaky salt. Serve with rice, lime wedges, and the remaining chili garlic oil for drizzling.