What are your thoughts on dessert for breakfast? When it’s packed with gut-loving fibre and healthy fats and still manages to be delicious, I tend to be on board. This combination of creamy coconut milk and rich raw cacao makes for a super-craveable chia pudding that is, dare I say…almost like brownie batter. Crown the pudding with granola and berries and you’ve become #brunchgoals. Canned full-fat coconut milk produces the best flavour and mouthfeel for this chia pudding, but your favourite plant milk will also work just fine. –Meredith Youngson
Chocolate Chia Pudding
- 1 cup canned full-fat coconut milk plus more as needed
- ½ cup water
- 1 tbsp raw cacao powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ tsp chaga powder optional
- pinch salt
- 3 tbsp chia seeds
- granola, toasted coconut flakes and strawberries and/or raspberries for serving (optional)
- In a medium-sized jar or bowl, combine the coconut milk, water, cacao, 1 tbsp of the maple syrup, the vanilla, chaga (if using) and salt. Whisk well. Stir in the chia seeds. Taste and add the remaining 1 tbsp maple syrup if necessary.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, until the chia seeds have absorbed the liquid and the mixture has a pudding-like consistency. (If the mixture is thicker than desired, stir in a splash of water or milk.)
- Serve with any or all of the suggested toppings.