Everyone loves some crispy fried chicken. And we’ve all become familiar with drizzling honey overtop to get that salty-sweet hit. Here, however, in the new cookbook Chicken Shack, that sweet honey kick comes from within. Chicken pieces are marinated with honey and seasonings, then dredged in a combination of bouillon granules and flour to coat. The result? Crispy and delicious. Serve with creamed corn.
Crispy Honey Fried Chicken
- 1.8 kg chicken cut into pieces
- ½ cup runny honey
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 packet chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 L vegetable oil for frying
- sea salt
- creamed corn or your choice of other
- vegetable side optional
- Season the chicken pieces with salt and pepper, then coat each seasoned piece with honey.
- In a shallow dish or bowl, mix together the garlic powder, chicken bouillon granules and flour. Dredge the honey-coated chicken pieces in the flour mixture, coating completely.
- Fill a large, heavy-based frying-pan/skillet with oil to a depth of 1 inch (2.5cm) and heat over a medium-high heat until the oil is bubbling steadily.
- In batches, fry the chicken for at least 8 minutes per side until the juices run clear. Make sure you reheat the oil so it’s bubbling steadily before frying the next batch.
- Serve with creamed corn or other vegetables.