Jeanine Donofrio, founder of food blog Love and Lemons, has an approach to vegetarian food that’s never boring. Her feel-good recipes are always bright and colourful, and are easily put on repeat in menu-planning. For her Tortellini Soup, Donofrio has developed a flavourful Lemon Peel Broth. “Whenever a recipe calls for fresh lemon juice but not lemon zest, I peel the lemon before I juice it. I freeze the peels until I have enough to make this brightly flavoured golden broth. Since the broth is so good on its own, I always pair it with simple ingredients, like the tortellini and fresh veggies here, to highlight its delicate flavour.”
Tortellini Soup With Lemon Peel Broth
Lemon Peel Broth
- 4 celery stalks including leaves
- 2 garlic bulbs sliced in half horizontally
- peels from 4 lemons
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 10 cups water
- 9 oz store-bought tortellini to make the dish vegan, use vegan tortellini
- 4 cups Lemon Peel Broth
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves
- extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
- pinch red pepper flakes optional
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Lemon Peel Broth
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Strain and discard the vegetables, peppercorns and lemon peels. Season to taste.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Prepare the tortellini according to the package instructions, cooking until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Warm the broth in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat until heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked tortellini, spinach, peas, lemon juice and half the basil. Stir until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Season to taste.
- Portion the soup into bowls and top with a drizzle of olive oil, the remaining basil, several grinds of pepper, and pinches of red pepper flakes, if desired.